The Council of Australian Governments (COAG) National Licensing Steering Committee has prepared Decision Regulation Impact Statements (RISs) for the Wave 1 national licensing occupations.
The Decision RISs’ purpose is to inform a decision by the Standing Council for Federal Financial Relations (SCFFR) on the approach to national licensing for each occupation. The RISs outline the preferred approach to national licensing for each occupation; the policy options that have been considered; and why the preferred option has been recommended.
A Decision RIS is normally considered a final policy document; however, following the COAG decision of April this year to allow for additional state-based consultation, the options recommended in each Decision RIS are not agreed policy.
The Decision RISs are one element of a package of advice that will go to the Ministers who sit on SCFFR. SCFFR will make the final decision on a national licensing approach.
The additional state-based consultation is being undertaken by specific agencies in some states and territories (see below). This consultation is not managed by the National Occupational Licensing Authority. Queries should be directed to the relevant agencies listed below:
• New South Wales – NSW Fair Trading (click on 'Have your say')
• Victoria - Department of Treasury and Finance
• Queensland – Office of Best Practice Regulation or email email@example.com
• South Australia - Consumer and Business Services
• Western Australia - Register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tasmania - Property occupations: Consumer Affairs and Trading, 1300 65 44 99 or email@example.com; electrical, plumbing and gasfitting, and refrigeration and airconditioning occupations: Workplace Standards, 1300 366 322 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• ACT - limited consultation only
• Northern Territory - Department of Business
The Decision RIS for the property occupation is below: