The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) is expected to release the new Green Star Design & As Built (D&AB) tool this month as part of the Green Star 2014 program of works.
The GBCA describes the tool as "a single, streamlined rating tool that will make certification simple, straightforward and cost-effective, no matter the building type", and is expected to deliver:
- Updated credit benchmarks to establish new market expectations of best practice sustainable design and construction
- Up to 30% less documentation required to achieve certification
- New credits to address emerging sustainability issues such as climate adaptation, product declarations and cultural heritage
- Up to 40% fewer credits overall. Credits that reward sustainable practices that are now considered ‘standard practice’ will be removed from the rating tools
- Cost savings of 20% or more and increased consistency of certification results when your project moves from Green Star Design to Green Star As Built
- A simplified weighting system will always be worth one point – no matter whether you’re using Green Star Performance, Communities or the new Green Star Design & As Built
Green Star Design & As Built certifies the design and construction of any building or major refurbishment, across nine sustainability impact categories. Achieving a Green Star Design & As Built certification is the mark of excellence for sustainable buildings.
GBCA’s Design & As Built tool has two credit sections relevant to building products: 'Product Transparency and Sustainability' and the 'Alternative Compliance Pathway: Whole Building LCA'.
The former is relevant to all products with third party certification, ISO 14001 EMS, Product Stewardship and EPDs (Environmental Product Declarations); while the latter is relevant to the entire materials category.